Expert weather photography by Arjen and Jerrine Verkaik
With more than 40 years experience as specialists in sky photography, we have created the world’s largest, most wide-ranging photographic resource on all aspects of weather and weather-related subjects: clouds, cloud types, lightning, tornadoes, severe storms, auroras, weather events, unusual phenomena, and more.
The ever-growing Skyart Collection consists of more than 100,000 images (we had to stop counting!) and is supported by an expertise in observational meteorology second to none.
Editorial and commercial photo uses
Recently, our images have been featured on four U.S postage stamps (Cloudscapes), and a large proportion of sky images in field guides on weather also come from our collection.
The use of images from the Skyart Collection has been wide-ranging and diverse. They can be found in stamps, posters, billboards, magazines and newspapers (advertising and editorial), point-of-purchase displays, brochures, reports, TV ads, videos, CDs, electronic media, many textbooks and trade books, encyclopedias, calendars, educational materials, science exhibits, and more.
Partial list of companies who have used Skyart photographs:
3M, American Express, American Superconductor, Arts & Entertainment Network, AT&T, Avon Cosmetics, Ball Aerospace, BATES, BBDO, Black Box, Boeing, Book of the Month Club, Bose Corp, Chase Manhattan Bank, Coopers & Lybrand, GDM/Gold & Diamond Merchants, Gillette, GM, IBM, J.P. Morgan, John Deere & Co, Key Corp, Kodak, Lego Systems, MCI, Merck, Merrill Lynch, Metropolitan Life, Moore Business Forms, Motorola, Ogilvy & Mather, Pitney Bowes, Rayovac, Safeco Insurance, Space Com Systems, State Farm Insurance, Target, The Body Shop, Toastmaster Int'l, U.S. Postal Service, United Technologies, Westinghouse Electric, Weyerhauser, Young & Rubican, Zurich American Insurance Group
Addison-Wesley, Canadian Encyclopedia, Canadian Geographic, CNBC, Discovery Networks, Equinox, Field & Stream, Good Morning America, Grolier Publishing, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Holt Rinehart & Winston, Houghton Mifflin, John Wiley & Sons, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Marketing Magazine, Martha Stewart Living/Time-Warner, McCall's Magazine/New York Times, National Geographic, NBC News, New Yorker, Newsweek, Pearson Education, Penguin USA, Prentice Hall, Prevention Magazine/Rodale Press, Reader's Digest, Scholastic, Simon & Schuster, Smithsonian, The Nation's Business, Time Life, World Book Publishing
Exhibitions of photographic prints
- “12 Ontario Artists”, a group show that toured seven galleries
- Ontario Arts Council: group show
- The Photography Gallery, Harbourfront, Toronto
- Oxford University, U.K.
- Harbourfront Loft: group show, Toronto
- Indianapolis Hilton, Indiana
- Photographers’ Gallery, Saskatoon
- Axe-Neo Gallery, Hull, P.Q.
- 101 Gallery, Ottawa, Ontario
- Niagara Artists’ Centre Gallery, St. Catharines, Ontario
- The Nickle Arts Museum, Calgary, Alberta
- Great George Gallery, Charlottetown, P.E.I.
- Ontario Science Centre, Toronto
- Lincoln Public Library, Beamsville, Ontario
- Hilton Hotel, Baltimore, Maryland
- Netherlands and U.K.: touring exhibition
- Imperial College, U.K.
- Hamilton Convention Centre, Royal Connaught Hotel, Ontario
- Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition
- Ninavik Gallery, Beamsville, Ontario
- Constellation Hotel, Toronto, Ontario
- Stouffer Concourse Hotel, Washington, DC
- Toronto Photographers Workshop: group show
- Skyway Hotel, Toronto, Ontario
- Marsh & McLennan Companies head office, New York City: 20 large prints (related to Savage Skies film release)
- West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton, Alberta
Photo displays (permanent)
- Atmospheric Environment Service, Toronto
- Science North, Sudbury
- Dep’t. of Earth Science, Vincennes University, Vincennes, Indiana
- Gimbel Eye Centre, Calgary, Alberta
- Dep’t of Meteorology, Florida State University, Talahassee Florida
- European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting, Reading, U.K.
- KelResearch Ltd, Toronto
- Ontario Science Centre, Toronto
- Ontario Hydro, Toronto
- National Museum of Science & Technology, Ottawa
- Ontario Weather Centre, Atmospheric Environment Service, Toronto
- National Weather Service, Indianapolis, IN
- Alberta Provincial Museum, Edmonton: permanent audio-visual presentation
- Davis Planetarium, Baltimore, Maryland: “The Weather Machine”
- Champagne Films, “Gary-O”: rock video background
- National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado: slide set
- R*Scan, Minneapolis, Minnesota (Dr Walter Lyons): slide set
- National meteorological institute, The Netherlands: video
- Total Eclipse, for “Northern Pikes”: rock video background
- McLaughlin Planetarium, Toronto: backgrounds for Star Theatre
- Dr F. Kenneth Hare: slide set
- AES/CANWARN: training slide set
- Ontario Science Centre: slide set
- AES: marine slide set
- Storm Chaser, screensaver produced by Royal Canadian Geographical Society